What is the first thing you do in the morning? Take a moment and think about it. We all have our rituals and routines. Perhaps you hit the snooze button a few times. Maybe you get up straight away and wash your face. Perhaps you snuggle up with your beloved dog or cat.
Now, think about the first thing you eat or drink in the morning. Is it water? Coffee? Tea?
It may not seem important, but every choice you make regarding your daily routine can either build up your resistance to disease, or burn the house down.
So what is the number one ritual that you can start today that will improve your health more than anything else?:
Drinking a big ole’ cup of warm water and lemon.
Yup, it’s that easy.
All you have to do is drink a cup of warm water with lemon (make sure the water is WARM and not hot, as hot water kills the lemon’s enzymes) BEFORE you ingest anything else besides water.
Benefits of drinking warm water with lemon:
1. Eliminates Toxins: Your organs work hard every night while you sleep to eliminate toxins from your body. By flushing them out with warm water and lemon every morning, you facilitate this process. Think of it as an oil change in a car. Flushing clean oil through the engine is essential to keep it working efficiently. Warm water with lemon does the same thing for us.
Lemons also help flush out unwanted materials because they increase the rate of urination in the body. This not only flushes out toxins, but keeps your urinary tract healthy.
2. Boosts Immune System: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds.
3. Aids Weight Loss: Lemons help curb hunger cravings because they are high in pectin fiber.
4. Balances pH: Lemons may be sour, but surprisingly they are an alkaline food. Drinking a cup of warm water with lemon in the morning helps to balance you pH, and an alkaline body is crucial to good health. When the body is too acidic, digestive disorders such as acid reflux and ulcers can occur. It can also result in low energy and fatigue.
5. Helps Digestion: Warm water stimulates the gastrointestinal tract and lemons are packed with minerals and vitamins that help loosen toxins in the digestive tract.
6. Healthy Skin: Lemon water cleanses toxins from the blood, which keeps skin clear. They are also high in vitamin C, which helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Because they flush out toxins, they may also help in reducing cellulite. I’ve personally found success with this.
7. Balances Hormones: Warm water with lemon helps hydrate the body. When the body is hydrated, so are the adrenal glands that along with your thyroid create energy and secrete important hormones in your body. When these glands are dehydrated they can’t do their job, resulting in constipation, stress, fatigue, acne, etc.
The recipe is simple and the benefits worth the small effort. All you need is half a lemon squeezed in a cup of warm water in the morning, and you will begin to see big results.
Which one of these benefits are you most looking forward to experiencing once starting this ritual? Or, if you already drink warm water with lemon, what have been the biggest results you’ve noticed? Please share in the comments section below.
Enjoy Sipping Yo’ Lemon,
Health Coach Jenna