Cleansing is ideal to do with the changing of the seasons. I cleanse four times a year, at the beginning of winter, spring, summer, and fall. A kitchari cleanse is ideal for the fall and winter, as these months are colder. For the warm season of spring and the hot season of summer, raw food cleanses are better suited.
A fall cleanse is all about slowing down, restoring the body, and purifying the body of toxins. Flushing out these toxins (also known as ama in Sanskrit for that which harms or weakens) helps protect us from cold and flu viruses that appear in the fall.
Kitchari, a combination of rice and mung beans, is used in Ayurveda for cleansing the system. It is easy to prepare, and its balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat makes for an easy-to-digest yet highly nourishing meal. The cleanse can be done for anywhere from 3-7 days.
Tomorrow I am starting my 3-day kitchari cleanse, and I encourage you to join.
How to Kickstart a Kitchari Cleanse:
2. Start every morning off with a cup of warm water with the juice of one lemon. This should be ingested before anything else.
2. Drink triphala tea once a day. Here is a video showing how to make it. If you can’t find triphala tea, then Traditional Medicinals Smooth Move (or any senna tea) is also a good bet. If you are going the senna tea option, make sure to drink this before you go to bed.
3. Abstain from caffeine or alcohol.
4. Try to cut back on the amount of time you spend on electronic devices.
5. Try to do some gentle restorative yoga at least once a day.
6. Meditate, even if it is just for 5 minutes!
7. If you have to eat something in between meals (this should be avoided if possible) then half an apple or a cup of steamed veggies is okay.
8. Drink lemon water throughout the day. This will help hydrate, cleanse, and reduce your cravings.
9. If you need a hot tea to drink throughout the day, try rooibos. It’s a nice full bodied caffeine-free alternative to black teas and coffee.
10. If you can, spend a half day or full day in silence. Spend some time in nature. Reflect on why you are doing the cleanse. This is also a good time to write down your intentions for the fall.
11. Before bedtime, drink 3 tablespoons of high quality olive oil, as it binds with the toxins in your body and helps flush them out.
Good luck, and please leave a comment below about your experience!